See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! 1 John 3:1
As a kid, Valentine’s Day was so much fun! A day filled with candy and cards and friends. But then something changed. It appeared that I was the only one in the world who wasn’t receiving flowers, balloons, and candy. I grew to loathe Valentine’s Day. It was nothing more than a painful reminder of the lies that Satan tried to tell me every other day. That I wasn’t good enough. That no one could love me. That I would be alone for the rest of my life.
If you are struggling this Valentine’s Day, I want to remind you of a wonderful truth. You are a part of the most amazing love story ever written!! You have a father in heaven who adores you. He loves you so much that he sent his son to die for you. We don’t have to do a thing to earn his love. He loves us simply because he has chosen to do so. And there is nothing we can do to make him stop loving us. If that isn’t the example of perfect love, I don’t know what is!
I don’t know what your earthly “love story” is like. I don’t know if you are single, widowed, divorced, or living your “happily ever after”. But I do know that every single one of us is deeply and lavishly loved. Jesus longs to have a relationship with us and when we make the decision to follow him, everything changes.
When we choose to follow Jesus we can replace the lies of the devil with these truths:
- I am chosen, holy and dearly loved (Colossians 3:12)
- I am a child of God (John 1:12)
- I am not condemned (Romans 8:1)
- I am completely forgiven (Colossians 1:14)
- I am tenderly loved (Jeremiah 31:3)
- The evil one cannot touch me (1 John 5:18)
- I am a prince/princess (John 1:12, 1 Timothy 6:15)
- I cannot be separated from the love of God (Romans 8:35)
- I may approach God with boldness, freedom, and confidence (Ephesians 3:12)
- I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength (Philippians 4:13)
Dear Lord, thank you for letting us be a part of the most amazing love story in history! Thank you for loving us even when we aren’t easy to love. Speak your truth deep into our hearts so that we never forget how lavishly, deeply, and recklessly you love us. In Jesus’ name, Amen.