We Are Not Forgotten – December Box

Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Luke 2:10

If there is ever a time that we could use some good news, it is now. Our world is broken and searching for hope.

As I prepare to celebrate Christmas, I think back to the very first Christmas.  The world was dark, hurting, tired, and hungry for hope.  The Jewish people no longer had an independent government of their own.  Instead foreigners were beginning to rule over them.  10% of the population controlled virtually everything while the other 90% suffered.   The pheasant population mostly worked the fields growing produce or tending livestock.  As subsistence farmers, they would keep 1 bag of food for themselves, and give the other to Herod or Caesar.  Herod was a hated ruler with the reputation of a murderer and thug.   

The Jewish people were divided.  The separation of Judaism into 4 competing groups lead to constant friction, tension, and riots.  To make things even worse, God had been silent for 400 years!  The people of God felt hopeless and forgotten by God.  

But then something happened that would change the course of history.  An announcement was made to some of the most forgotten individuals of the time – the shepherds.  The angel proclaimed “Do not be afraid.  I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.” (Luke 2:10).  Hope was born that day in Bethlehem. 

December Devotion

I can’t help but see the parallels between the world then and our world now.  We are more divided than we have ever been.  The rich get richer while the poor get poorer. Even the church is divided by varying viewpoints, leading to tension, and arguing.  Looking at the chaos that surrounds, it often feels like we have been forgotten by God.  

But we have not been forgotten!  The good news that the angel proclaimed so long ago is still relevant for today.  Because of the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus, we always have hope!  And isn’t it amazing that God sent us a star right before Christmas as a beautiful reminder of that!

If the broken world we are living in has you down and questioning if God remembers us, think back to the day that God came to earth in the form of a little baby.  He loved us enough to leave his throne in heaven, take the form of a man, carry our sins, and suffer a horrible death.  With his resurrection, he overcame the world and as believers, we can live as overcomers because of him.  We can live with the promised hope that he will return and he will make everything right and everything new!  And that is very good news!

In Joy,

       Jamie

Dear Lord, thank you for sending your son.  We are so grateful that even in the midst of darkness and chaos we can have hope because of Jesus.  We are believing and trusting that you have not forgotten us, that you are in control, and that one day you will return to make all things right.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

*If you are suffering from anxiety, depression, or loneliness this holiday season, know that you are not alone.  It would be our pleasure to pray for you.  You can send us a message via Facebook, Instagram or email at blessings@injoybox.com

Need to be encouraged?

Every InJoyBox is filled with encouraging and fun items that are sure to bring sunshine to your day. Each box is prayed over before shipping, includes 1 item personalized with the name of the recipient, and a handwritten note of encouragement from the InJoyBox Team.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email